Friday, June 21, 2013

Peanut Butter Galore!

         Due to an awesome friend/ co- worker, I am not the owner of  two cases of peanut butter! When I received these cases a few days ago, I could only think about all the delicious treats that I could make. I mean you can only eat so many peanut butter sandwiches ;). I ventured online and found an abundance of recipes. I haven't really cooked/baked with peanut butter before, as it was not the cheapest ingredient, and most recipes call for at least 2 cups, which is almost a whole jar. Now I have no excuse :). Thankfully no one in my family has an allergy to nuts, so they can all be my test monkeys, hehehe.

       I was disappointed when my first recipes, peanut butter cookies, did not turn out. not only did the first batch taste...just not right. I burnt the second batch. I decided to brush it off and dive into other , simpler recipes until I felt more comfortable. So, last night I made my very first batch of BUCKEYES! Actually, they are more like peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate, because I dunk the whole thing ;). They are so simple to make, and delicious! My fiance and my brother( who is staying with us a few more days) absolutely love them! I deiced to make another batch for my generous friend who provided me with the PB , as he wanted no payment. I figured he might not be able to turn down a treat! 
       
       I also decided to make a batch of peanut butter  rice crisp treats. I haven't tasted them yet, but they smelled decent!

So here it is.. a simple, but delicious Buckeye recipe!

Buckeyes

Ingredients: 2 cups creamy Peanut Butter                       9 oz semi sweet chocolate( a little more than a cup)
                  1/4 cup butter                                              1 tablespoon shortening
                  1/4 salt
                  1/2 teaspoon vanilla
                  2 1/2 cup confectioners sugar

1) Take the peanut butter, butter and salt and place it in a  microwave-safe bowl and heat it for 1 minute. I recommend. Pausing every 20 seconds to stir.

2) Take the heated mixture and stir in the vanilla and confectioners sugar. You might need a bigger bowl.\

3) When you stir everything together it should create a "dough". Roll this dough into a ball.

4) Let it sit for about 5 minutes

5) From this big ball of goodness, take pieces to create  1 inch round balls. Place these on a cookie sheet, and let them sit for a few hours, or even overnight. This makes it easier for dipping.

After the balls have hardened, you are ready to make your chocolate.

1) Melt the chocolate and shortening in a microwave bowl. Do this for a minute. Once again I recommend pausing every 20 seconds to stir. 

2) Dip the balls one at a time in the melted chocolate. Put back on cookie sheet, and back in the fridge  for at least an hour to harden.

Notes: If you want to make authentic Buckeyes, only dip partially to create the "buck eye" illusion.
           Keep these in the fridge for best taste. The can and will melt  if left out in the open.
          


One of the cases of PB!


 "Naked buckeyes" going into the fridge before being dipped in chocolate!


 PB Rice Treats! As you can see someone.. took a nibble out of the right hand bottom corner... hmm..

My first ever batch of coated buckeyes, minus the eyes. Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment