Thursday, July 11, 2013

How We Met

Following One Catholic Mama and a few other favorite bloggers, I decided that I should share my "How We Met" story, as this is a blog partially focused on my up and coming wedding ;). I will try to keep it short :)!

Sebastian and I met my freshmen year in College. We happened to be in the same Chemistry class. I remember seeing him , walking in each day ( he was always early; something that makes my hear flutter, haha, no really.) One day I was wearing a "Our Orchestra" hoodie, that I found at a local thrift shop. He asked me if I went to that school, and I red faced and all reply "no... I found it at a thrift store" ( I felt really dumb). Anyway that got us talking about us both playing the violin in high-school, and I made the stupid excuse of  looking for a violin, and he happened to have one for sale ;). Anyway, I gave him my number (Yes! I made the bold move... probably the first and last time in my life!).  We started texting, about the violin of course (haha) and he asked me to take a walk with him.

A few moonlight walks, meaningful text messages, and simple words exchanged in class later, Sebastian asked me out on a date. I agreed, and I was taken on one of the most gentlemen like dates I have ever been on! I was so nervous I couldn't stop shaking and he was so nervous he forgot his wallet in his car and had to leave to get it (we still laugh about it today, as I contemplated at the moment if the date went so horrible that it was his excuse to "ditch"). After that we went out on a few more dates. We talked about what we wanted in life and what we were hoping to achieve between us. Sebastian asked for a commitment to me, and I didn't think it was a good time to do that then. We parted ways, and I couldn't stop thinking about him.

Fast forward a few months and I was in class with Sebastian's MOM! His mom was pursuing her bachelors at a later age, and we actually became pretty close in class. It was also an inside look to see how Sebastian was doing ( I know, I am "SO" tricky"). Of course she was relaying this information back to him. Freshmen year came to a close and we both thought we were moving on to different areas of life.

Around this time, I started discerning a religious vocation with the Third Order of St. Francis Sisters. Sebastian was dating another girl, and wanting to go into the Navy. First semester of Sophomore year passes. I find out that a religious calling is not for me, although time with the Sisters was VERY beneficial, and I will never forget them and their hospitality! Around this time, I was looking for 2nd semester books. I found out through Sebastian's MOM that he has a book for rent. Although I didn't need it, I contacted his mom to see if I could borrow it ( light reading, of course ;)).


Fast forward  a few days, and our book exchange was approaching. I dragged along my good friend Liz with me so that I could stop shaking before I saw Sebastian. The exchange was brief, but left an impact in my heart. A few weeks later Sebastian messaged me. I told him I was working that night at the local coffee shop and he should stop in ( this man likes his coffee black, strong, and by the gallon!).
 When he walked through those doors. I am pretty sure I spilled milk, powder and what ever else I was holding  at the time. He ordered his drink, and when I brought it out to him I just sat down as if he were an old friend and talked for a few minutes. That night before he left he asked if I would have dinner with him the following week. I said yes.

Our First Picture Together * blushes*

That first date, he asked me what I wanted from life, and I asked him the same. We didn't want to "date" around, we were looking for the one to spend our life with. No games, just honesty. We were on the same page this time.

Fast forward two months of "dating" bliss. Sebastian got down on one knee in a sun flower field where we had our "first" date from the first time around and asked me to be his partner, his wife, his one and only. I said yes!
We started dating "officially" February 18th, 2011. April 29th, 2012 we got engaged, and September 20th, 2014 we will be united through God as husband and wife, God willing!




Although we disagree on some small things, we always agree on the big important stuff. Although we get angry and bitter sometimes, nothing feels better than a hug from him. I cannot wait to be his wife, his partner and his one and only.


2 comments:

  1. Aw..this is very sweet. I love that you were in class with his mom..too funny. God Bless your upcoming nuptials.

    I have a few friends who discerned a religious vocation before deciding they were called to marriage and they all say that time with the sisters was so, so beneficial and helpful in their marriages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story!
    And to all the other readers out there...I am MOM! :)

    ReplyDelete