Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Ice Bucket Challange


I am sure that I am not the only one that has their Facebook feed bombarded with the Ice Bucket Challenge. At  first I thought it was stupid, then I thought it was funny, then it just gave me a mix of emotions hard to decipher.

If you are going to donate to a charity... awesome! We should all be charitable.
If you are going to donate to a charity and do the the ice bucket... sure! Fun never hurt anyone.
If you are going to do the ice bucket challenge and not donate( doing the challenge vs donating)...huh? What is the point?
If you are going to do the ice bucket challenge and not even mention a charity... well I guess you are just dumping a bucket of ice on your head for the internet. Whatever floats your boat, I have seen stranger things!

After categorizing my feelings, I decided to do my research. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, is a disease of the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement. ALS is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

So you may ask me, that is the problem?  Kara at Meamaximacuppa explains the moral issue perfectly.


"ALSA, the association that largely benefits from the Ice Bucket Challenge donations, is a supporter of embryonic stem cell research. Both through their own organization and by making donations to other groups who perform experiments on embryos. And while I understand there are many people who don’t believe life begins at conception, we do. So, to put our money where our mouth is, we’re happy to have a moral alternative for our donations.


The John Paul II Medical Research Institute offers an ethical alternative to those who believe in the protection of embryos and also want to contribute to moral, ethical research for the end of ALS and other prevalent diseases."

I encourage all of you, whenever it comes to a charity to thoroughly research it in and out before donating. For more information on the moral issue of embryonic stem cell research, and how to support an ethical organization for the cure for ALS please visit ; http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frmichaelduffy/2014/08/the-moral-problem-with-the-als-ice-bucket-challenge/




No comments:

Post a Comment