Thursday, August 28, 2014

Why I Veil; Part 1







Veiling. It is a tough subject to swallow for some. I grew up in a church that I would consider traditional by all means. Although I never attended  a Latin Mass, I did grow up going to Polish Mass. I never knew about veiling as my mother would never talk about it. My parents both grew up in Catholic Church, in Poland when it was still under communist regime. It was hard being a Catholic back then and it was hard to understand the Latin Mass,  it was also done in secret and you were not allowed to talk about it in public.

Therefore my parents grew up as faithful servants, but unknowledgeable servants. When I first told my parents that I want to veil they were not very supportive about it. They told me how it was a disgrace to go "back in time" to such a a painful past. Due to them not being supportive it made it hard for me to veil. It took years before I wore my veil to church for the first time. I have been veiling on and off for about a year and a half now. However, I am ready to commit myself fully to my devotion of veiling. I am ready to focus on the our Lord fully with an open heart, and a covered head.




Below is taken from an article "To wear or not to wear".
"The reasons for veiling are numerous: humility, reverence, modesty, bringing tradition back to the Mass. The reasons against veiling are just as strong: subjugation of women, false humility, holier-than-thou attitudes, taking the Church back to pre-Vatican II days.
There was a time in the Catholic Church when women were required to wear a veil at Mass. The 1917 Code of Canon Law mandated it. Canon 1262 states,”Men, in a church or outside a church, while they are assisting at sacred rites, shall be bare-headed, unless the approved mores of the people or peculiar circumstances of things determine otherwise; women, however, shall have a covered head and be modestly dressed, especially when they approach the table of the Lord.”
But then, changes occurred. The document Inter Insignoires, issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in the 1970s, stated that mantillas were no longer mandatory since wearing them was not a matter of faith. “It must be noted that these ordinances, probably inspired by the customs of the period, concern scarcely more than disciplinary practices of minor importance, such as the obligation imposed upon women to wear a veil on their head (1 Cor 11:2-16); such requirements no longer have a normative value.”

Veiling, for me is difficult.I have a desire to do it, and strong devotion to it. However, sometimes it feels I am the only one. I am usually the only woman in church veiling, and I hate to stand out. I am wanting to go to a Latin Mass sometime soon ( the closest one is an hour away) and hope that I am not the only one that is covered. As mentioned in a previous post, modesty must start in the heart. I feel the same way about veiling. You should not veil to gain attention, your heart should be veiled before your head.


Another struggle is thinking I am not good or worthy enough to cover my head before the Lord. I am a sinner and I do not deny that. I gain courage to veil from our Blessed Mother. She was perfect and I am nowhere near that!

Overall, I believe veiling is a beautiful act, and in our day in age, a radical thing to do. I urge you beautiful women of Christ to discern wearing a veil. When covered, I feel so much closer to Christ, my Mass participation is through the roof, and  I am able to pay attention better. Please pray for my anxiety for when I am debating the 10 minutes before Mass whether to veil or not that day.

4 comments:

  1. Really beautiful story. Veiling is a gift to women. A lovely devotion to Our Lady before Our Blessed Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this. It's beautiful!! Please. Pray or me,, I also feel called to wear a veil. I will also pry for you, for our Blessed Mother to continue to give you courage and zeal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I have felt your prayers ten fold! I am SO enthusiastic about veiling now :-)! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete