Friday, September 12, 2014

7 Quick Take; In Which We Explore My Crunchy Side


                         Linking up with Jen over at Conversion Diary for 7 Quick Takes Friday!

As many of you may not know, I do have a crunchy organic/natural side of me. Today I will share things you may or may not know or want to know:-) beware.

1. Organic/Natural
When I tell people that I am into natural/organic items they automatically assume everything I consume has a USDA Organic stamp on it, this is false. They also may picture me running around barefoot everywhere, this is also false(sometimes;-) ). I prefer to call what I do natural vs. organic and here is why.

 While organic is great, it is an expensive label to have. Many local farmers who have natural products simply cannot afford to have a organic label. Another big conflict with organic is;  for example; a dairy cow who has gotten an infection. By organic standards you have to kill the cow, because it will need antibiotics therefore making the cow un-natural. A normal farmer will treat his cow with antibiotics (same as we get sick) and simply milk her but not use the milk.... if that makes sense! So to sum it up, organic is cool, but natural/fresh and local are best, for me!



2. Non-aluminum Deodorant 
This is something somewhat new in my crunchy world. My fiancé and I have made the brave switch from using traditional deoderant to a natural aluminum free brand. We are using TOMS as well as a Whole Foods generic brand, I feel passionately about this subject, for more information you can click here.


3. Kombucha Tea
I have been brewing Kombucha tea for a few months now. Essentially Kombucha tea is a fermented drink made with tea, sugar, bacteria and yeast. Although it's sometimes referred to as kombucha mushroom tea, kombucha is not a mushroom — it's a colony of bacteria and yeast. To read more about the health effects of Kombucha check out this site



4.Natural Remedies
All my life I have had to be on antibiotics for this or that, or taking large amount of pain killers due to injuries. Recently, I have decided that no more do I want to take artificial drugs unless absolutely needed. I believe that everything we need to heal ourselves has been provided by God through the earth. I am slowly trying to not reach for the bottle of aspirin but rather a vitamin or the castor oil. Here is a picture of ordinary day items that can help simple symptoms. Keep in mind, I am not a doctor nor forcing you to do this. Please ask your doctor before you attempt anything like this.



5. Natural Family Planning
As a Catholic I do not believe in artificial contraception and I am open to life. However, there are grave reasons why a couple may want to abstain from having children. There are different programs through Natural Family Planning. Here is a great site to reference. Also be on the look out as in addition to my Why I Veil series, I will be hosting a Why I NFP series. Stay tuned!


6, Conflict free products
In the last few months I have been very conciseness of where my products are coming from. This gets a little tougher with non edibles. I can't exactly  grow a pair of shoes on a tree and call it a day. I try to do my best to research companies that produce conflict free products. Here is a link where you can learn more about conflict free items.


7.Experiment

In a a few months Sebastian and I will be embarking on a experiment. The details are still in the works but you guys are one of the first people to know! Over the last few years Sebastian and I have become more aware of the products that we use, consume and represent. These products have vastly changed over the years.

We were inspired by a book we read together in class entitled " No Impact Man". Here is a link where you can read more about the documentary/book. As mentioned the details are still in works but we would like to test the hypothesis if it is possible to live a "natural/organic" lifestyle, as recent college graduates with little to no stability and limited income.We would like to test this over the course of one year, implementing a new variable each month. I will keep you updated on that!


As you probably noticed, I am providing a lot of links versus giving page long descriptions. I wanted to keep this post somewhat short, and encourage you all to do research about the products you are buying and consuming!



4 comments:

  1. I am a natural, crunchy lady myself! I switched to no aluminum deoderant about 10 years ago! :) And we are all about the natural treatments for illnesses. I really enjoyed your QT's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are moving towards a more natural lifestyle. However, I have to correct your misunderstanding that an organic farmer must kill a sick cow. Nothing could be further from the truth. Under organic standards, a farmer cannot withhold medical treatment from an animal simply to maintain their organic status. However, once the cow is treated, their milk cannot be sold as organic for the rest of that lactation, and most small farmers feel this is not financially viable for them. This is perfectly understandable. Unfortunately, many people make it sound like the organic label forces unethical practices. It does not. Farmers are making the decision based upon financial reasons, not ethical reasons. They can't sell non-organic milk for as much money, plus they would have to find a market for the non-organic milk, and they would have to milk the non-organic cow with different equipment. This would be a pain, and most people would understand this reason for not getting organic certification as a dairy. I really wish that farmers were more honest about the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable, but isn't picking financial gain over treating a cow an ethical problem? I have been around dairy farmers and the reason, from what I understand , they choose not to go organic is because of what would happen to that dairy cow. That cow that has become a member of the family and a money maker. If they chose the organic label, and can't use the cows milk for the duration of her lactation, is the cow not "useless" at this point? Feeding an animal as a hay burner?

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's the problem. However, your post reads as if the USDA would require the farmer to put down the cow. And I've heard many other people describe it in a similar but incorrect manner that makes it sound like the organic label requires not using antibiotics under any circumstances. And like I said, they could sell the milk -- it just would not be organic, so it's question of how much additional work the farmer wants to do. There are plenty of people -- such as yourself -- who are willing to buy milk from a cow that was treated with antibiotics during their current lactation. If the farmer didn't want to milk the cow separately, they could certainly sell the cow. It is almost impossible to find a trained milk cow to buy. I've looked! We've owned cattle, and they are incredibly hardy animals when raised on pasture, so the other part of the picture is that if someone is using antibiotics enough to make this a "big" problem, then they have some management problems. None of my cattle ever had any drugs.

      Delete